Tuesday 17 June 2008

Fledged blue tits

After a week spent in schools, this was the first chance to check out the nest box. When I arrived at Easthill Park I headed straight over towards the nest box. As I passed the large tree adjacent to the box I could hear the demanding calls of newly fledged chicks. It did not take long to locate the source of the calls.

Blue tit chicks were calling from different branches, at least one adult was busy collecting food and feeding the chicks in turn. After being feed a couple of the chicks followed the adult, obviously wanting to be next in line for the food.

The fledgelings insistent calls were accompanyed by wing quivers and open gape. One chick (below) followed the adult onto the ground and then flew up onto the bark of the tree.


I noticed a couple of the fledglings were pecking at the branches and leaves. It was difficult to know how many of the chicks successfully fledged. The most I could count inone go was five, but they werevery active and kept moving around making counting them difficult. However, I was pleased to see that the adults had successfully reared some chicks. There was no sound coming from the nest box.


No comments: