To be as sure as possible that I don't accidentally take out any pond creatures in the weed, I remove small pieces of weed at a time and put them into an old washing up bowl. I check them for creatures, usually they swim off when put in the bowl. Afterwards I put the weed in a bucket of water so I can check it again later.
In the process I found a large number of damselfly larvae which I carefully returned to the pond.
I notice one red damselfly in the garden, possibly from my pond.
I also cleaned out the old window boxes to plant the remaining violas to brighten the place up.
This beautiful spider was living in a web tunnel behind one of the window boxes. I am sure I have seen it before but can't place the species at the moment.
While replacing some of the old soil in the window box I found an old leaf cutter bees nest. The bees make a nest tunnel and then cut leaves to create individual cells.
We have leaf cutter bees in our garden every year and they are fascinating to watch.