Monday 1 May 2017

Robin and Long tailed Tit

On a recent visit to Woods mill, Sussex Wildlife Trust Nature Reserve, I witnessed this unusual behaviour from a long- tailed tit.


At first I thought it was reacting to its reflection but continued observation suggested it might have been catching tiny flying insects. Just before the long-tailed tit flew down to the windows, it had been foraging in a near by tree.


Further on around the reserve I encountered this pair of robin. The male robin was collecting food items to feed his mate - known as courtship feeding. The robin showed great interest in my lunch and so I offered some bread crumbs on my hand.


The robin became braver after several visits to my hands and on occasions stayed for a few seconds before flying off. Bread not the best food for birds but the few crumbs won't have been a problem.


Tricky filming and feeding the robin but pleased with the results.


While it is easy to think that this robin is being very friendly - this probably involves a behaviour that goes back to when they were true woodland birds. Robins once foraged around wild boar that unearthed tasty worms and invertebrates while they rooted around for food. In a similar way, some robins have become used to humans a being non dangerous and a source of food.

No comments: