Wednesday 1 July 2009

Blackbird saga continues

I had breakfast on the decking as usual and the blackbirds were still busy feeding its young.

I tried to ignore the warning calls from the adults. Mid morning the commotion took on a very frantic edge so I went to check out what was happening. Out cat was laying in the shade down the side of the house, next to the fence. Unknown to our cat, the blackbird fledgling was the other side of the fence. The blackbird parents were obviously distressed by this.
The male blackbird was very vocal but our cat tried to ignore them.
The blackbirds were getting more and more distressed as the cat was not responding to their attempts to dive her away. Eventually I shooed our cat away to find another place to sit in the shade

The parents continued to collect food into the evening.

The swifts are now forming a large flock late evening. I estimate about 35 swifts.

No comments: