Wednesday 14 May 2008

Slowworm, damselflies, crow

A hot sunny day so I st up my laptop on the garden table to work. I noticed our cat hunting on the steps near the rockery. I assumed she was hunting a spider or some insect. After a while she came doen the steps with what I thought was a big earthworm in her mouth. It took a few seconds to realise that she had caught a slowworm. She dropped it at the bottom of the steps and I quickly grabbed the slowworm up to get it away from her. Our cat (Hera) frantically looked for the slowworm not realsing I had it. When she eventually lost interest I released the slowworm on the rockery.

It was a day of rescuing as I had to rescue two separate damselflies from our conservatory. Once hey enetered itsreally hardto get them out again. With these two I resorted to carefully catching them in my hands and releasing them outside.

For the second day in a row, a carrion crow brought dried bread and put it in the bird bath and then flew away. About 5 minutes later the crow would eturn to feed on the bread which was now very soft. The crow appears to be nesting about 2 hundred memtres away in trees on the other side of the valled road.

No comments: