Monday 20 April 2009

Blue tit

Yesterday, a blue tit sang from the top of the apple tree for about 20 minutes before flying off.

As I crossed the garden this afternoon I noticed a Caterpillar on the step being attacked by black ants. Its always difficult to know what to do in such situations.

I often rescue slow worms and frogs from our cat and even the odd bumble bee that has flown into a spiders web. Would it be fair to deprive the ants of its quarry? I decided not and left them to it.

The caterpillar put up a good fight, curling its body and then flicking straight sending the ants off across the step.

I forgot all about the ants and the caterpillar until later that evening. The ants had managed to subdue the caterpillar and had carried it to the entrance to their nest, beneath the step.

No comments: